Monday, April 7, 2014

Are They Listening?

Sometimes, as teachers, we think our students aren't listening to us.  Well, to be fair, we know that some of them aren't.  But I just love those moments when they show us that they really were listening and they learned from something we taught them. My students just finished writing a literary analysis paper, and during the writing process I had them write an outline first, which they all groaned about.  Because we were incorporating so many different texts into the paper, I wanted to make sure they had an opportunity to organize their ideas first.  They didn't see it that way and thought I was punishing them, but they did as they were asked and began working on the outline.  

On day two of the writing process, one of the students was ahead of the others and, having finished his outline, began to write his draft.  He turned his body to face the class and announced to everyone, "Hey you guys, I'm writing my essay and the outline is totally helping!  If you do it the way Mrs. J said to do it, the paper is so easy!"  I had to immediately swear that I did NOT pay him to say that.  


Now they are working on the next essay, a film analysis, and this time one of the students actually asked me if they were allowed to write an outline first.  My response?  Hallelujah!!  No one has ever requested to write an outline before, but these kids are doing it… and very well I might add.  These are the moments that keep me plugging away and pushing through because, even though sometimes they complain about learning, I have to remember that they are, in fact, learning.  And that makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment